Click Here for The Torex Coin Show & Auctions!




Re: 2008 quarter

Hello and welcome to CCRS. While I don't collect most modern mint products, I suspect your quarter is one in which paint was applied to the reverse of the coin. The Royal Canadian Mint (RCM) did this to many of their recent products, in hopes of attracting new collectors.

Unfortunately, paint on coins, can be removed as easily as it was applied. While I have no first hand knowledge of the particular coin, should a similar one be found and soaked in turpentine, I suspect the same results would occur.

If you can get to a local library, you can look at a current Charlton catalogue. These are now subdivided into modern mint products and older pieces. In this case, look for the modern edition.

You could also go to the RCM website, or Gatewest coin. Here is where you would want to be with Gatewest:


You can search there, and likely find your coin.

Information on the other coin can likely be found at the library as well. Check out the Krause catalogue of coins (1900-1999) and you should be able to find your 2c piece.

Good luck


jmc, 8/29/2011
CCRS member since: 4/2/2003
Posts: 3219

Report Post

Reply to this message

To post a reply to the above message, please sign in, or, if you are not a registered user of the Discussion, register first.

Back to discussions

Postings in this thread

2008 quarter (ernhrtfn, 8/27/2011)
 Re: 2008 quarter (jmc, 8/29/2011)

Back to discussions

top of the page

Copyright © 1997-2018  Torex® Coin Show & Auctions.

| Home | Coin Clubs | Coin Shows | Dictionary | Links | Resources |
| Gallery | | Discussion |
Marketplace | Video | Dealers | SearchFAQ |

| User Agreement | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer |